NO-NO Food List Elmhurst
When your braces are placed onto your teeth, you will experience some moderate soreness and eating tough foods such as meats and raw vegetables will cause you some pain. For the first week, you should only eat foods which do not require you to strain your teeth too hard. Over time, this sensitivity will disappear and you will be able to eat just about anything. Just remember that you are eating with your braces so certain foods can actually damage and get caught in them.
Foods you CAN eat with braces:
- Dairy – soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads – soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins w/o nuts
- Grains – pasta, soft-cooked rice
- Meats/poultry – soft-cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood – tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables – mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits – applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats – ice cream w/o nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
Try to avoid eating hard, crunchy, sticky and chewy foods to avoid damagingyour orthodontic appliances.
Some examples of foods to avoid include:
- Bagels and hard rolls
- Popcorn, Chips, Doritos
- Gum and Hard Candy, chewy candy (gummy bears, sugar daddies, starbursts, tootsie rolls, caramels)
- Ice, nuts, jerky, jelly ranchers
- Apples, raw carrots, pizza crust
- Corn on the cob, taffy apples
Use common sense when choosing what to eat and avoid chewing on hard objects such as pens, pencils or biting your fingernails, since all these can damage your braces.